top of page
OCDN Chantaburi (1).jpg

The Foundation of the
Carmelite Monastery of St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus, Chanthaburi

The Carmelite Monastery of St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus, Chanthaburi, is the second community of Carmelite nuns in Thailand. On 27 July 1949, it was canonically erected by the Holy See at the petition of Bishop James Jang Kerdsawang of the Diocese of Chanthaburi. Due to the difficult situation after WWII and for the proper preparation, the nuns could not depart to the new monastery until 1952.

 

On 14 February 1952, a group of nine nuns led by Mother Immaculata departed from the Bangkok Carmel and arrived in Chanthaburi by sea. On 2 March 1952, the monastery was blessed and inaugurated by Fr. Joseph Prapol, delegate of Bishop James, who was himself unable to preside due to an unexpected and serious illness.

 

The first monastery was built on property belonging to a parishioner. Some forty years later, however, the landowner's descendants expressed a desire to reclaim the land. By the grace of God, a faithful Catholic couple generously donated their own property for a new monastery. With the support of many benefactors from across Thailand and abroad, construction of the new monastery began, and by Divine Providence, it was completed and inaugurated by Bishop Lawrence Thienchai Samanchit on 4 January 1992.

 

The nuns, with the grace of God, continue to live and pray in this monastery in peace to this day.

 

Address: 

Carmelite Monastery

140/10 Moo 4, Chanthanimit 2 Rd.

Amphoe Maung, Chanthaburi 22000, THAILAND 

 

For vocation enquiries, please email: : carmelchan11@gmail.com

Commissariat of Singapore-Thailand-Malaysia
All rights reserved 2026

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
bottom of page